1124 & 1126 Kensington Road NW
Although the interior of this building has been redeveloped extensively over the years, the front of the building continues to reflect the original front facade. This historical building represents a strong link to Calgary’s Masonic foundations. This building is currently home to Higher Ground, The Daily restaurant, Naked Leaf Tea House and Livingstone & Cavell Extraordinary Toys (at 1124).
The most recent renovations have added a third floor above the Eastern portion of the building adding office space above Livingstone & Cavell.
For nearly sixty years this brick and stucco building housed King George Lodge No. 59 A.F. & A.M. (Ancient Fret & Accepted Masons). Established in Hillhurst-Sunnyside in 1911, the lodge met in the nearby Ross Block before building this hall in 1926. Members held teas and whist drives to raise the $12,785 needed to complete the structure, which was built by the Sunnyside Construction Company.
Notable members who chaired the lodge as Worshipful Master included W.C. Black, who operated Black’s Drug Store on Tenth Street from 1910 to 1943, and Andrew Davision, Calgary’s Mayor from 1910 to 1945. Another notable member was David S. McIlroy, the architect who designed the building. The cornerstone, originally laid on August 21, 1926 was removed and re-dedicated when the lodge moved to new quarters in 1984. The former Masonic Hall was then converted into a retail building by the Dobbin Cochrane Group and was extensively renovated in 1995.