This brick-facade commercial bay building is currently home to Fresh Clothiers.
Before 1907, the present Hillhurst-Sunnyside neighbourhood was largely undeveloped and lay outside the city limits. Calgary’s rapid growth between 1906 and 1913 transformed this agricultural district into one of the city’s first residential subdivisions. Streetcare service across the new Louise Bridge began in 1909, and Morleyville Road – which followed the trail to the Methodist Mission in Morley – was transformed into Tenth Street NW, a thriving commercial strip.
The brick and tile shops at 106 and 108 Tenth Street, built in 1919 for the Hillhurst Hardware Company, became part of the shopping district commonly known then as “The Bridge”.
These two buildings housed such landmark businesses as Louise hardware, Jim Lee’s grocery store, and Black’s Drug Store, established by W.C. Black around 1910. Later remembered as “the oldest established business north of the Bow River,” Black’s boasted an ice cream parlour and a post office which remained in business until 1982. The Dobbin Group acquired this building in 1988.